Monday, February 1, 2016

Brainstorming

Most families have their own traditions and rituals associated with Christmas.  One family tradition I have in my family is breaking oplatki.  This is a Polish tradition my family takes part in every Christmas.  Oplatki are thin wafers usually with a religious image on them.  Each member of the family gets a wafer and then goes around to the other members and they each take a piece of each other's wafer, wishing each other a merry Christmas and a healthy, happy new year.  I always enjoy this tradition as it is a way that we remain close as a family.  Each member takes a piece of each other symbolizing the connectedness of our family.  The tradition enables me to see each member of my family and wish them a small greeting for the holidays.  I like this tradition as it is a memory I carry with me during the holidays from the people I care about.  Al of the men in the family usually complain and do not like the tradition, but it is one I look forward to.  It is a simple gesture that means a lot.  What might seem like a strange or unimportant tradition to others actually means a lot to me, and is something I remember throughout the holiday season.  I know that not all families have the opportunity to be together during the holidays or any other time for the matter, so having each family member participate reminds me how lucky I am to have such a close family.  It may be a simple task, but the tradition of breaking oplatki with my family carries a whole lot more a meaning than most realize.  I did not always view it in this way.  At one point, I too probably sounded like the men in my family, saying why do we have to do this, it is silly, or it isn't important, but as the years went by, I realized that it is in fact important.  It symbolizes much more than simply breaking each others wafers, but it shows that we are a connected family and family is important to us.  It is important that we tell each to have a happy holiday or new year because life is unpredictable.  Family is a huge part of my life, and this tradition is a reminder that the people I love will always be there for me, something that unfortunately not everyone can say.  Family means something different to everyone, and it does not always necessarily remind them of good times, so I know I am lucky to have a loving, supportive tightly knit family, and my Christmas tradition is a reminder of that.  So maybe it is just a simple gesture of breaking oplatki, but it means a whole lot more to me.  It is a constant reminder that my family will always be there, loving and supporting me every step of the way.  It reminds me to be grateful for the loving people I have in my life, and it is an important tradition that I look forward to every Christmas. 




What does it mean when I say service?  I'm sure if I asked 100 people this question, I would get 100 different responses.  Some might say it is volunteering and helping others, while others might name some forms of service such as volunteering at a soup kitchen.  The point is service means many different things to different people.  When I was younger, I probably would have responded in a similar manner, saying that it is volunteering and helping the poor, but I have come to learn that is it much more.  Of course, service can be volunteering or helping the needy.  These are great forms of service, but through my own experience, I have come to realize it means a whole lot more.  To me, service means giving a little piece of yourself to someone in need, really empathizing with that person and wanting to make their life better.  Service is a broad topic that encompasses many different forms, and all service is good.   





Service is like a reality check.  This sounds kind of odd, right?  Allow me to elaborate.  Service is usually done for the poor or people in need, people who are not as fortunate as others.  It is in working with these people that we are able to realize how fortunate we really are.  Suddenly what may have seemed like a major problem before becomes much more trivial when we realize the struggles others face on a daily basis.  Service is a reminder to take a step back and truly appreciate all that we have.  Service has helped me to become a better person and to strive to live my life more graciously.  Seeing the often horrible conditions some people are forced to endure allows me to look at and be grateful for all of the things and people in my own life.  Service is like a reality check, allowing us to remember that we are blessed, and we should share our blessings with those in need. 

No comments:

Post a Comment